Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Running About the Office



As those who follow this blog often – all three of ‘em – LOL – know, I joined the company running club.

Today was the second week for the club and it feels so invigorating to be a participant. I love to work out – I usually hit the gym at least three times per week.

While at the gym, I always do a cardio program. Sometimes I go onto the treadmill, sometimes one of the many different types of elliptical (cross trainer) machines. I usually spend 45-min to an hour on these machines.

The running club is a different animal to tame. It is running out doors, rain, snow, sleet, hail or shine. We haven’t had much shine today, mostly clouds and some rain. We got lucky today though, it didn’t rain while we were out running.

Still, it has been a bit chilly, at 5C – normal highs for this time of year are 13C.

But it is still amazing to get out and run right after work. My job is so very stressful lately. Poor planning has led to far too many rushed projects. Rushed projects aren’t ever completed to 100 percent satisfaction. No one is perfect, so nothing one creates can ever be perfect. But when you rush through something instead of taking the time to do it right, you make more mistakes than had you done things the right way the first time around.

So, I get frustrated easily at the office, as we’re constantly under the gun, because of bad planning – or more likely no planning whatsoever.

By hitting the pavement with the running club, I’m able to be in a social environment with my co-workers, and for a change, not be under the gun rushing through something I’d rather not.

It is an excellent stress reliever. I feel so much better leaving the office after a run. That’s important, because on days when we don’t run, I often leave the office shaking my head, wondering why am I still doing this thing?

Work is good, it pays the bills and that is pretty important. I also work to learn and grow personally and professionally.

Rushing through my work doesn’t aid in my professional development. I already know from far too many years of experience in the field, that rushing is due to lack of planning. And when you don’t plan, you plan to fail.

So it looks like my professional development and growth is going to come from the running club. It won’t teach me any new computer skills, and I won’t get a bonus out of it. But at least I won’t go postal. At least I don’t think I will . . . where’s my . . .

Who knows, maybe I’ll actually be able to get through this contract thanks to the stress relief of the running club. If it wasn’t for the running club – and this is only our second week – I’d probably have done up a resume and started handing it out in a seemingly never ending struggle to find a decent place to work.

Well, maybe not just the running club. The people at work are very nice, and I think they generally mean well. Just they don’t plan to well, and in my books, that’s bound to hurt them more than me in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis