Monday, April 23, 2007

The Joy of Renovating



Watching those home renovation shows on television is fun, and always makes sense. The skilled hosts make everything look so very easy.

Just measure, cut and screw to the wall – done!

Not so easy in real life.

This past weekend, I tried installing new drapes with my dad. I already had an I-Beam metal drape rod across my living room, but the drapes I bought are insulated. So these drapes are thick and heavy. Means we have to add extra supports to the rod, to keep it from coming out of the ceiling.

We got all the right parts, and my dad started drilling holes in the ceiling. He got the parts into the ceiling, but they wouldn’t stick – they kept falling out of the holes he had drilled.

We did everything right – supposedly. We drilled pilot holes, installed plastic plugs, and even tried using concrete screws – nothing worked.

My dad drilled three different holes, none of ‘em worked. Just ended up with a pile of ceiling materials on my floor, drapes hanging off my couch, and the burning sun shining on in.

It wasn’t an easy, fun and quick experience like they show on television.

Granted, me and my dad aren’t Jon Eakes, and this isn’t This Old House. Still, when they show something on the Food Network, I can pretty much figure it out and replicate what I see. Cooking is easy and fun. My famous steak stir fry I stole off of the Food Network.

But when it comes to pillaging ideas off of HGTV on construction – even something so simple as putting up drapes – it all falls down.

It is really frustrating because we really did try hard – very hard, we were both exhausted from our ordeals. We were sweating and covered in junk from the ceiling and all the parts we were moving about.

Oh well – there is always another day. We’ll try again tomorrow. I got some advice from one of the supers in my building, and we’ll try again and see what happens. Who knows, maybe tomorrow I’ll have nice window coverings on my massive windows.

Or, I’ll just call a pro from one of those television shows – if they can do it on television, they can do it in real life. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis