Thursday, April 26, 2007

Home Renovations Really Really REALLY SUCK



Some people are really handy, some people aren’t.

I’m of the later – I’ve always sucked at home renovation projects. I’m a great cook – or so I’ve been told – I know my way around technology like the back of my hand, and I’ve got a great sense of humor.

But when it comes to doing anything construction related I suck big time.

When I got two massive air conditioning units, I had to pay to have someone install them into my windows. To put together my box bed, I had to get my dad to help put the thing together. And to get my brand new drapes up, something which most people seem to do with ease – I still haven’t got them up.

Well, that may change soon, as I sit here typing this blog, I’m waiting for the building super to help out – he said he’ll be up tonight.

Still, I wish I was handy. It would be nice to be able to go out, buy something for my place and badda-boom-badda-bang I put them up lickety-split. I’d have more cool stuff if I knew installing it wouldn’t be a pain in the ass. I’d put up more art and paintings, hang some wind chimes, maybe even put up a ceiling fan.

All of these things come with instructions, but it doesn’t matter. I suck at home renovations.

Hammers and nails fear me more than I fear them – I’m that bad with tools.

From now on, I think whenever I purchase anything that requires assembly, I’ll plan ahead and figure out who I can pay to put it together. Or maybe I’ll just stop buying things which require assembly or installation. If I can’t use it right out of the box, it won’t be bought.

Unless I decided to go all out and sign up for part-time classes on home renovations. That might be the answer. I enjoy learning and might even be able to become useful around the house.

Hmmm . . . that may just be the answer – then I could get my own home renovation show on television and prove to the world once and for all that even the least competent handyperson can become a whiz with a power saw.

Power saw?

Gulp.

Those things can be dangerous. It’s all fun and games until you lose a body part.

Maybe I’ll just stick to cooking.

Meatloaf anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis