Sunday, June 10, 2007

Red Knees All Around






I’ve been talking for ages now about getting a BBQ. Well – today I got one!

A BBQ? But don’t you live way up in the stars?

Yes – but I can have an electric BBQ!

One of the supers in my building even has an electric unit. So, I went a shopping to scout around and find a nice electric BBQ myself.

I found the perfect one at Canadian Tire. It looks just like a gas grill – it even has a warmer rack, side shelves and wire mesh baskets to hold all your tools, sauces and other must haves while grilling.

I snagged it up fast, along with an extension cord for outdoors, a power protector to protect my investment, a cover to keep it clean and dry throughout the year and a really cool BBQ tool set.

The tool set I saw advertised online. It comes in a shiny metallic carrying case, and has 16-tool, including long tongs, spatula, brush, and other necessities for grilling. All the tools are solid stainless steel making them easy to wash.

After a managed to lug the whole thing home, I started to read the instructions and put it together. The instructions looked simple enough – and claim it can be put together in 30-45 minutes.

I’m not a handy person – I’m pretty lame when it comes to putting things together or repairing general household fix-up jobs. But the instructions looked simple enough, they even had diagrams.

How hard could it be?

It took me two-hours of cursing, and swearing – but I managed to get it all together. I was up and down on the ground, on my knees, and constantly banging my head to get into tiny nooks and crannies to tighten bolts, fasten screws and connect all the parts. My knees are still sore and neon blood red. I guess I was on them for most of the build, so they took the brunt of my body mass all that time.

The diagrams and the instructions weren’t always clear. They often referred to bolting one part to another, but failed to mention which size bolt to use – and the thing came with several different sizes. On one occasion, the instructions told me to install three parts together at once – it specifically said they all had to be placed on the BBQ at the same time. I struggled several times, and finally managed to use the wall to support two of the pieces while I connected the third. Maybe these things go easier with two people?

In any case, after I had created my BBQ I was mighty impressed. It not only looked like the picture, all the screws, bolts, rods and other things to put it together had been used. Usually after I put something together myself, there are lots of left over bits – screws, bolts, washer – and that always unnerves me. Maybe I forgot to put something together – will it fall apart later on?

This time round, I managed to use all of the bits to get my BBQ together. It was done! I was sweaty, tired and excited.

I hadn’t eaten all day and it was already past 3pm. But I wanted to get to M&M Meat Shops before they closed so I could have some amazing food to try on my new grill. M&M closes at five (I checked the website).

Exhausted, sweaty, and still with bright red knees, I went to the store to get some goodies.

M&M is known for their high quality BBQ-ready foods. They essentially marinade all their meats and then fast-freeze them raw. This way, they are flavored and ready to be grilled.

The assortment of things to get was outstanding. Several types of steaks, burgers, chicken, pork, even fish!

I got a pack of teriyaki sirloin steaks, and two boxes of chicken skewers – one pineapple chicken, the other Greek-style chicken.

Then I rushed home and started cleaning up a bit. I had boxes, cardboard rappers, and other packaging materials everywhere. I was in such a hurry to get to the meat market, I didn’t clean up.

After a clean up of my place and me – I was refreshed and ready to cook.

I eagerly turned on my grill. It works! It works! It works!

And I put it together all on my own!

It’s probably a fire hazard waiting to happen – but the steaks and chicken skewers were to die for!

I’m a happy BBQer!

Though I still have red knees. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis