Sunday, June 17, 2007

It’s All In the Bag






Weekends I do my household chores. Cleaning, laundry that sort of thing.

Today, I did my laundry. As I was loading the washer, I noticed people will use all sorts of things to carry their laundry.

There are the usual laundry bags and baskets like I have. Then there are garbage bags, garbage pails, even cardboard boxes.

Some bring it down without any container, just in one big pile. That explains why there are sometimes socks in the street – I guess.

I was thinking, can you tell something about a person, by what they use to carry their laundry?

Maybe those that use garbage bags, hate household chores, or at least the laundry aspect of it? Maybe they think doing the laundry is no different than taking out the trash?

What about those that use cardboard boxes? Maybe to them, they feel this is like moving, or grocery shopping?

I’ve seen people at the grocery store carry out their new purchases in cardboard boxes. What a pain. Cardboard boxes are hard to hold, awkward to carry and don’t offer any flexibility in storing them. They don’t bend or flex, so you can only stack them on top of each other – provided there is nothing breakable below.

I was wondering this – I suppose your mind wanders as you watch the laundry spin endlessly in the machine. What else is there to think about?

Makes you wonder what the person who brings down their laundry sans container in one big pile thinks? Maybe he just can’t afford garbage bags?

There was a Mickey Mouse laundry basket – obviously that belongs to someone with kids. Or that person is very young at heart – or both. Most likely though, it belongs to someone with kids.

Maybe the one with the dark black laundry bag, the one that looks like a body bag is a coroner? Hey use what you’ve got!

Naw – he’s probably with the mob. He keeps a stash of black body bags on hand for his “jobs” that come from Vito. When Vito says knock ‘em off, he grabs a black body bag and does the job. Just hope the bag he uses for his laundry isn’t one in the same as one he used for a recent gig.

The person with the Mickey Mouse laundry basket probably works is a recent college graduate out on her own for the first time. I bet she still goes to mom and dad’s place with a load of laundry sometimes, just because that’s what she’s used to doing.

The guy that brings his laundry down in garbage bags is single. He doesn’t care what others think. He doesn’t even care if sometimes, he brings down garbage instead of laundry – he’ll just curse and head back up to get the right bag. And that’s why he’s still single. . .

Laundry is a chore – but it isn’t boring. Just watch what others bring down their stuff in. You may surprise yourself.

So, what do I use to cart my laundry down in?

Guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis