Monday, June 04, 2007

A Person’s Home is Their Castle



I take great pride in my stuff. I work hard to earn the money to buy what I want and need. So when I finally do get something, I work hard to protect it – to keep it in top shape so that it lasts.

When I go to someone’s home for a party, dinner or other social gathering, I take care not to harm their things – as I hope they would take the same care if and when they are at my place.

I often have my parents over for dinner. I love both my parents dearly, but my dad is a slob when it comes to personal stuff.

I’m a messy eater too – but when I am at someone’s place, I am careful not to make a mess on their nice table cloth, placemats or other tableware. My dad – well, after my parent’s left the other night, I had to run down to the laundry room and wash my placemats.

I just got these placemats too – they are brand spanking new. This was the first dinner with my parents at my place using the new placemats, so they both were talking about how nice they were. Still – STILL – my dad gets sauce and other food all over the placemats – my nice and new ones.

My mom told him to be careful, maybe that’s why he got an extra dose of sauce on them. I sometimes think he intentionally does exactly the opposite of what she says, just to get a reaction from her. Actually, I think a lot of married people do that – must be a downside to crossing the alter and saying “I do.”

I was a little peed at my dad for getting stains on my new placemats. I was able to quickly get those stains out – but still, it would be nice not to have to worry about stuff like that.

When I go to my parent’s place, or when I go to anyone’s place, I am very mindful that this isn’t my place. It is great if someone says “make yourself at home.” But that doesn’t mean be reckless with their things.

If someone loans you their car, you don’t drive it like a maniac and get into an accident. The same should hold true of anything else you happen to be granted access to that isn’t yours – even if it is just a placemat.

Maybe I should send Mrs. Manners over to my parent’s place to give my dad a talking too. Naw, next time, we’ll just go out for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis