Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Why I Want a Baby Stroller

It is considered good manners to give up your seat on the bus for a disabled person, a pregnant woman, or even a woman with a baby in a stroller.

They even have these funky new buses with wheelchair ramps that open and close, to allow those in wheelchairs to get on and off the bus.

It takes forever for these ramps to unfurl and just as long for the person to wheel themselves aboard. But hey, if you can inconvenience 50 people so that one person can get on, I guess that makes logical sense in some twisted parallel universe somewhere.

What really gets my goat are people that think because they have a baby in a stroller, a wheelchair, a cane, or even a seeing eye dog, that they are more special than everyone else.

I don’t mind offering my chair to someone less fortunate than I. And for the most part, those I offer my seat to are more than thankful and polite.

But that one percent or less that come at you with an attitude of superiority and demand you vacate your spot or risk being sat upon should be shot at point blank range to end everyone’s misery.

When I offer someone my seat, I do it out of kindness. I don’t do it because I am forced to by some law. I paid my fare, I deserve a seat just as much as anyone else does.

So when I see some woman with a stroller use her child in said stroller to literally push people out of her way, and then demand a seat, I take great offence.

I’ve seen disabled people do the same kamikaze tactics on poor unsuspecting people too. Saw someone in a wheelchair almost mow some old guy down. And the old guy wasn’t exactly in the prime of his life either – but he was fair game for the lady in the wheelchair. Maybe if they both had wheelchairs it would have been more entertaining as they played bumper cars?

We all have to live with the cards we are dealt. Some get aces, most of us get crap all. But we still have to respect the values and personal spaces of each other.

Failing that, society will continue to crumble to one where no one wants to go anywhere, out of dismay, angst and fear of being run over by some sicko with a stroller.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis