Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Awkward Meeting of the Replacement



Being a contractor, I often replace people on maternity leave, holiday time and other personal pursuits. Today, the person I replaced on maternity leave showed up at the office, with her new baby in tow.

I always feel awkward in such circumstances. I know I needn’t be – they chose to leave and the company chose to replace them throughout their period of leave.

Still, it is always very uncomfortable when the person who’s desk you’re in shows up and sees you’ve taken up root.

We all have our own ways of working. I’m very organized, neat and tidy. I believe in filing things where I can find them, using Post IT Notes like water to remind me of things to do, and keeping my work area spiffy clean.

The person I replaced was not of the same work ethic. She was disorganized, left files and folders everywhere, and there was a layer of dust so thick once I removed it everyone asked me how I scored the new office furniture. It’s not a new desk – I’d tell them – I just dusted. They still don’t believe me – in fact I think operations is trying to track down the invoice for the “new” desk.

Meeting that person who you’re replacing is like meeting an old high school friend that you’ve lost touch with. There’s a sense of familiarity, but still, something seems amiss. Only difference in the situation of meeting the person you replace is – you’ve never met them before, so it is an even more uncomfortable situation.

There’s the usual welcome, and small talk. Then you watch them and they watch you, as you both look at their former cubicle and wonder what the other is thinking.

They ask how you find the job, the people and the projects you are working on. They always – always joke about how you find their former cubicle, desk, chair or other item which at one point was their office.

“Ah, I see you’ve managed to fix my squeaky chair.”

“WOW, I love what you’ve done with the place.”

“You’ve cleaned up good – do you do windows?”

That’s where things get weird. You joke back, but you know neither is joking. Both you and they depend on this “office” to earn income to keep a roof overhead, food in your gut, and clothes on your back.

This is where things get personal.

It’s mine – you think. Chances are they are thinking the exact same thing.

Being a contractor, I’m used to coming and going from one office to another. Leaving as the original person I replaced comes back, or in some circumstances, actually training and up-dating the person who I’ve replaced upon their return.

Until I get a gold plaque on a solid door, and an office with a skylight in it – I won’t consider any office “mine.”

Not so for the person I’ve replaced. They aren’t used to being replaced. Probably not the least bit comfortable with how I’ve rearranged their space to suit my working style, and they aren’t really joking when they bring it up. They are scared.

Jobs in this country are not easy to come by. We have far too many people for the far too few jobs worth working at. So when someone has become settled and comfortable in a decent job, they tend to want to stay there until death.

In comes the contractor – AKA moi – and I automatically re-gig their workspace to suit my temporary needs. It is common practice to work in one’s own space – even for us temporary contractor types.

But the common worker bee that’s been doing the same job forever, and plans to keep doing their same old gig forever doesn’t see it that way. They see it as a threat to their employment. They see me as a threat to their livelihood. They see someone who’s taken over and rearranged their office.

None of this is verbally communicated – it is all in the body language. But being a student of non-verbal body language, I pick up on it pretty quick.

Colleagues always do too. They must, they always comment after the person I replaced leaves about how nice it was to see them again, but chances are they won’t come back – so your gig is secure.

“Really?” I pretend to show interest in becoming a permanent fixture in my new found home.

“Yeah, you can tell when they come to visit with their new kid, that they want to give up work and become a full-time parent.”

Funny, I hear this sort of line of reasoning all the time, but I’ve yet to be offered a permanent gig. Usually the person I replaced comes back – they get tired of midnight feedings and constant diaper changes. Not too mention the lower income level really pushes them back into the workforce. Having a kid is an added expense, and if you have the opportunity to get more money – such as going back to work – you do.

Still, it’s always funny to hear people speak like that after the person I replaced comes in for a visit. Means they picked up on the awkward tension between their colleague and “the replacement” (me).

I guess you can’t stop someone from coming back into the office. It isn’t exactly Fort Knox. But still, the workplace is no place for uncomfortable awkward feelings. The more awkward and uncomfortable you make it, the less productive people are, and the less gets done.

All I know is – if and when I do somehow give up my freedom to become a slave to the labor camps of permanent employment – and if and when I take a break requiring a replacement take my place – I’ll never visit the office and make that poor contractor feel like a second-rate replacement. I won’t come back until my time is up and I have to return to the old grind.

I know better from being there than to make someone else go through an awkward moment. Now, if only there were a way to teach this lesson to others?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis