Monday, May 14, 2007

How to Interior Design My Way



Over the weekend I bought a couple of new paintings, and a nice new area rug for my swanky apartment.

The paintings are oil-based paintings of wine bottles, which I put up in my dining room. The area rug is a nice, soft rug, which matches my couch and curtains in the living room.

Every time I go out and get stuff to add to the décor of my place, I feel better living in my place. It makes my place more of a home. More of “my home.”

It is funny, every time you watch one of those interior design type shows on television, the interior designer is either a straight woman or a gay guy. Makes us straight guys believe we are incapable of designing our own homes.

In fact, when my girlfriend called me a “male version of Martha Stewart” upon discovering my skills in matching my curtains to my furniture.

I don’t know if I like being compared to Martha Stewart, but at least she didn’t ask if I was gay. Not that there is anything wrong with being gay – but no means no.

Still, there is a pleasant self-satisfaction in putting together your own home style. All the decisions I have made in drapes, furnishings, lamps, art and floor coverings, all of this is my style.

I never even knew I had a style until I started bringing all these elements together. I just figured I needed a place to hang and watch television while drinking, burping and eating.

Once you start with a couple of items, you eventually get to the point where you are matching things to other things, which leads you to get other things to match to those things, and pretty soon you have a style all your own.

For years we’ve been telling people they have to go back pack across Europe, go get an education, or even run away and join the circus to find themselves. Turns out, all you really have to do to find out who you are is to be able to live with yourself.

Finding my home style not only tells me who I am, but also my lifestyle. I have one of those automatic shower cleaners and I plan to get one of those automatic robotic vacuum cleaners too. My air conditioners have remote controls and timers which I can pre-set to go on or off whenever I want.

Clearly, I like things to run smoothly, even when I’m not home.

I lean towards darker earthy tones in color schemes. My bedroom is black and grey, my living room is deep forest green, my bathroom is ocean blue and white.

Must go back to the days when I was an environmentalist and hugged trees.

Naw, I just like basic color schemes.

When I was looking at the area rugs at one of these South-East Asian rug stores that always seems to go out of business and then mysteriously re-appear after their going out of business sale – I took forever picking a rug. Why?

All the really nice rugs according to the sales people, were the ones with very busy and complicated patterns.

I thought the patterns were nice, but nothing caught my eye. Until I saw a less complicated rug, with nice borders and a fine center piece. Not complex funky patterns – just a basic rug with a nice color-tone.

That’s my style.

I like things simple, and basic in terms of color, pattern and tone. I like sharp contrasting lines with simple patterns that don’t distract from the overall look of the thing – whatever that thing may be.

My dishes are pretty simple too – no funky floral patterns, just plain lines or solid colors.

It is comforting coming home to my style – because that’s really what makes a home – well – home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis