Sunday, May 06, 2007

I Hear Birds and Bees and Trees



My apartment is literally right next to a major highway. I’m used to the sound of traffic – actually I find it soothing.

This weekend, the highway is closed for repairs – so all is quiet.

On my balcony, I listen but there is no noise.

Wait a sec . . .

What’s that odd sound?

I hear chirping, buzzing, and swooshing.

Birds, bees and trees – the sounds of nature! That’s what that odd noise is.

It is funny, I don’t hear these sounds too often from my balcony. Usually the sound of the highway below drowns out these sounds. It is nice to be able to sit on my sunny balcony, and hear nature.

Very quaint, peaceful and relaxing.

Funny thing is, I actually miss the sound of traffic somewhat. I guess I’m so used to it that something just seems off without it. It is like having a favorite pair of blue jeans. They may look really old, worn, even torn and ripped. But they fit like a glove and give you a certain sense of comfort knowing that no matter what happens in the world, at least you’ve got them.

I guess the sound of traffic, the sight of cars going back and fourth, even the occasional horn and siren – they are like that old pair of blue jeans.

Maybe I’ll go hang out over an overpass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis