Sunday, May 20, 2007

Cleanliness is Godliness

While I was doing my laundry this afternoon, I saw an unusual sight. A woman took a big bottle of bleach, some rags, and began washing down the washing machine she was going to use, before putting her clothes inside.

We all have habits which are uniquely our own. And granted, these washers take quite the beating as they are used by everyone in my building. But cleaning out a washer prior to use seems a little over the top.

I always look inside the washer and dryer before tossing anything inside. You never know what you may find. I’ve found change, shoelaces and occasionally clothes.

But one assumes these machines are used to wash clothes, so they must be clean. Right?

This got me thinking. I know, thinking and me are bad combinations. But as I was thinking, I thought – there are babies in this building. Babies that use diapers. Diapers that become soiled with – well, you know – and then tossed into these machines to be washed.

Washing my clothes with someone else’s poo isn’t an appealing idea. But it could happen. I guess that might be one reason this lady was washing out the washing machine before tossing her clothes inside.

Then I got thinking again. What about all those sickos that don’t wear deodorant? We’ve all had the misfortune of standing behind them in long lines on hot, summer days. Even if you aren’t standing behind them, you can still smell their stink – word on the street is they can be smelled a good four or five city blocks away. These bozos have to wash their clothes somewhere too, right?

Maybe that’s why this strange lady was washing out a washing machine?

Then I got to the thinking thing again. What about all those people that just don’t shower daily? Most of us – thankfully – do. Some don’t and you can smell these people even further than those without deodorant. These guys wash their clothes too, just not so often. So when they do get around to washing their clothes, they are really, really, REALLY icky. They may use these machines too, right?

Maybe that’s the reason why the lady was bleaching out the machines?

Then I got thinking again. There are some people that are obsessive compulsive in their behavior. Obsessive Compulsive behavior is a psychological condition, which affects millions of nut balls across the country and around the globe.

Obsessive compulsive types have to do the same sequence of events over and over again, just to get one task done. Maybe this lady was a nut with an obsessive compulsive streak, and her washing out the machine was her ritual of doing laundry?

Then I gave up thinking and just tossed my clothes in the washer. People are strange – and you don’t need to think about it to know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis