Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Joys of Cooking

Ah – there really is nothing quite like good ‘ol home cooking.

I love to cook my own meals. There is a pleasurable satisfaction in eating them and the whole process of tossing whatever I want, as I make the thing really gets my creative juices flowing.

It still surprises me that so many people – mostly women – are amazed that I cook.

They always tell me how their boyfriends or hubbies never lift a finger in the kitchen, unless it has a fork attached to it.

I always laugh at that – chances are these guys would figure out how to cook pretty quick if they didn’t have their “women” looking out for them. Starvation can prompt even the least likely of chefs to learn rather swiftly.

That is one of the reasons I learned to cook, though I learned while growing up and living with the folks. It was good training for when I did move out on my own – all those many years ago.

I especially enjoy going to the grocery store, and walking up and down the aisles, thinking to myself: “what am I going to make for dinner tonight?”

As I stroll through the aisles, I see things which spark my imagination.

Veggies – hmmm. . . maybe I’ll make a stir fry?

Chicken breasts – hmmm. . . maybe I’ll make that a chicken stir fry?

Prime Rib?!?! Whoa – maybe I’ll make a pot roast with roasted potatoes?

So much selection, so much I can enjoy cooking.

I have the best lunches at the office – left-overs from a pot roast, a stir fry, or even a simple sloppy joes are a great lunch on the go. Most people at the office have sandwiches, or worse – TV dinners!

No kidding, there are several people at the office I see in the lunch room all the time nuking their TV dinners. Those things never look good from the picture, and they look far worse once you open up the box.

I bet McDonald’s has more real stuff in their artificially concocted menu of McBurgers than what you’d find in a TV dinner.

TV dinners were invented in the 1960s, and they look like they haven’t changed since that long forgotten era.

Let’s see, tomorrow’s lunch will be left over steak stir fry – I made it special tonight with pineapple, water chestnuts, peppers, onions and of course, the best grade sirloin steak I could find.

Mmmmm – looking forward to it.

So, what’d you have for lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis