Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Are You Smarter Than an American?

I’ve seen the ads on television for the FOX show Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader. The show’s concept never really caught my eye, so I never intentionally watched.

However, with over 500-channels, I sometimes catch things. As in last Sunday night, when I was flipping around and happened on this show.

So I figured, I had some time to kill before The Simpson’s was on, so I’d watch.

WOW! I know American’s lag behind us Canadians in terms of educational standards, and the costs are far greater there than here.

But every contestant they had on the show was just plain dumb. Far greater than dumb, born without a brain perhaps?

Maybe they intentionally pick stupid people to go up against the kids on this show, so the kids don’t look so bad. Then again, if these people represent a cross-section of American’s in general, then no wonder they are in an economic downturn.

One of the contestants said a Pocola was part of the percussion family, because they both started with “P!” (It is actually a woodwind instrument, because it has a reed.)

I was amazed at just how dumb the contestants were.

Granted, its been a while since these people were in school – but still!?!?!

I know not everyone can qualify to be on Jeopardy, but to have shows that showcase the common person in the United States, when compared to kids, and have the kids come across as being far smarter – sheesh.

We live in quite a sad society when adults just don’t have any sense and sensibilities anymore. And it appears Who’s Smarter Than an American might be a good show for up here in Canada.

If you can win a million or more – count me in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis