Monday, September 17, 2007

Okay -- So Maybe I'm Not a Computer Geek After All


I’ve always had a talent for anything high tech – or so I thought.

Recently my own laptop has been acting slow. I did what anyone with some techno-know-how would do – I ran a complete virus and spyware scan.

Often the cause of computer slowdowns these days is thanks in large part to hackers trying to gain access to the system.

No viruses, spyware, adware or any other malicious code found.

Hmmm. . . what could have caused programs like PhotoShop which usually run no problem, to seemingly crash?

I put my IT hat on and started working out what the problem could be.

The it hit me – fonts. Recently I went crazy with a massive font install. I thought – hey you can never have too many fonts. Right? WRONG.

As it turns out, the more fonts on your system, the longer it takes applications which use these different fonts to load them. PhotoShop displays the actual font face in the fonts list – to do this it has to load the fonts first. This makes it load slower – a LOT slower – if you have or say – a few thousand fonts.

D’oh!

So now I am painstakingly going through all my fonts, to see which ones I like and will keep and which ones I probably would never have at all.

As I installed a few thousand fonts – hey I thought having The Simpson’s font among others, would be cool – this process is going to take me a month or so to do. It’s not like I have nothing else to do all day and night than go over fonts – so my spare time will be filled with filtering fonts.

Oh joy.

Maybe I can find an application which will do this for me?

On second thought – I’ll just do it myself. No need to make another techno-blunder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis