Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Social Networking and “Friends”

I’m not a big fan of these so-called “social networking” websites, I find they take people out of the real world and into fantasy worlds for too long.

People on these sites, such as Myspace and Facebook, accumulate hundreds of “friends” most of whom they know almost nothing about. Yet for many, those “friends” are often thought to be real, and actual, when in fact, if you haven’t ever actually spent time with someone in real-time, you really don’t know that person.

But there are some pretty cool things on these social networking sites – like their trivia games.

I’m a huge fan of the TV show The Simpson’s, and I’ve been playing The Simpson’s trivia game on Facebook for sometime now. I’ve got a very high score, and I enjoy answering questions about something I actually know something about.

It is really quite addictive – so much so, that I’ll try and pop online at least once a day to answer some questions. Recently, I’ve even begun formulating my own questions, which I have uploaded and added to the trivia game.

What a rush it is, to not only answer questions, but to be part of the game. This is true social networking – where you can join an environment of people who share your passion for something, and share that passion.

I don’t think each and every other person playing the trivia game as my friend – nor do I socialize with them. I know they too, are just interested in the fun from the game. But, I think that’s where social networking comes into play.

If you happen on someone that wants to add you as their “friend” you should really take the time to get to know that person and become their friend – minus the quotes.

Don’t just add anyone as a friend – add people you actually can get to know – go out for drinks, talk with on the phone, spend real-time in real-time with these people.

People that just add “friends” and never take the time to really get to know them, aren’t really adding “friends” they are adding strangers.

Think about it – would you open up your home to a stranger?

Of course not – that’s just asking for trouble. But, if you go out with someone, talk, and really get to know someone, now that’s a person I’d be happy to call a friend on my social networking site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis